Find these things in The Janitor (Chapter 7)
Find examples of ‘he’ and ‘his’ in this text from The Janitor (Chapter 7)
Use ‘he’ and ‘his’ to complete the sentences:
1. The book that I borrowed yesterday was ____. ____ suggested that I read it.
2. “Why isn’t ____ at work?” “____ must have missed the train.”
3. We followed the directions that ____ gave us, but we couldn’t find ____ house.
4. “Who did ____ call for help when ____ fell?” “____ neighbour; but there was nobody home, so ____ called an ambulance.”
5. “Do you have ____ home address?” “No, but I have ____ mobile number, so you can call him and ask.”
Read The Janitor (Chapter 6) and then put following sentences in order:
a) Mr Allen was still inside one of the classrooms
b) Mr Allen arrived on his bike
c) Mr Green shouted ‘No!’
d) Mr Allen got off his bike
e) Flames came out of the windows
f) The fire engine’s siren sounded
g) Mr Allen talked about his holidays
h) The teachers began counting people
1. ‘s can mean a number of things in English.
‘s can mean ‘is’
For example, Today’s a little cold.
‘s can also mean ‘someone/something belongs to someone/something else‘
For example, I lost Tom‘s book = I lost the book that belonged to Tom.
2. Look at this extract from the Janitor. Find the words that end in ‘s. What do they mean here?
1. Mr Green probably woke up very early because he heard a noise outside/he was hungry.
2. When Mr Green heard the first knock at the door, he didn’t move because he was too tired/he thought he was imagining it.
3. The second knock at the door made him jump because the noise was loud/Mr Green was sleepy.
4. In the morning, Mr Green thought a bird hit his door the night before because he saw feathers outside the door/he heard a bird singing.
5. Mr Green took out a brush, a shovel and some bags from the small room because he wanted to sweep up some leaves/he wanted to relax.
6. After Mr Green had a drink of water, he returned to the leaves because he was angry/he wanted to put the leaves into bags.
7. Mr Green went into the east building because he wanted to find his pipe/he wanted to clean the floors.
A. Look at the paragraph from The Janitor (Chapter 4). Find all the questions.
B. Now choose the correct verb (was, were or did) to complete the sentences below
i. ___ the students friendly?
ii. ___ you enjoy the party?
iii. ___ there any jobs in the paper?
iv. ___ the movie that you and your friends saw interesting?
v. ___ the tea too sweet?
A. Find examples of its and it’s in this text from The Janitor, Chapter 3
i. ___ his friend’s house.
ii. ___ a good idea to take a warm hat.
iii. ___ kitchen is small, but the rest of the house is huge.
iv. ___ late and I am going to bed.
v. ___ window is broken.